11 January 2012

String art

iphone photo - so, obviously, not representative of reality.

After being inspired by this post on Make Grow Gather that I found via One Pretty Thing, I decided that I wanted to do the same thing, but on a bigger scale.
I had some MDF board stashed for a bathroom-related project that ended up getting bypassed, and it turned out perfect for this string art backboard.
I ran down to Spotlight for some acrylic paint in teal and black and some embroidery thread (I ended up having to go back for more thread – I severely underestimated how much I'd need!), picked up some cheap thumb tacks at a $2 store up the street, and got started right away.
Painting only took about an hour all up for two coats including drying time aided slightly by a hairdryer. As for the pattern of the string, well, this is what I came up with after a few attempts. Originally, I wasn't going to go around the edge of the heart shape with thread, but my guide line in pencil was a bit heavy and wasn't going to come off easily, so I had to hide it. Overall, I think it turned out pretty damn well! And only cost about $15 to make.

Ran out of string!

No comments: