20 May 2010

Operation Dangerfield

I just finished this dress today. It's based on pattern I made by cutting up an old dress.



I quite like the shape and the drape, but I when I was making it I didn't have the right zipper, so I had to use a zip that was 2" longer than needed. The zip end makes a little weird bump, as if I've got a tail!



This grey dress was finished a couple of weeks ago. I really like the colour and the contrasting thread (you can't tell from the picture, but I used black). I had a few issues sewing it until I realised that I'd accidentally bought polyester thread instead of cotton. There are a few skipped stitches, and snagged loops. My machine just does not like polyester thread! It's all on the inside though, so I don't really mind.
This dress is a little tight around the bust because I misread my own directions, and made the top slightly too short. I 'solved' the issue by inserting a vertical fold, and disguising it by putting buttons on it. It actually looks like it was meant to be there!

Please excuse the picture of the grey dress - my mum took the photo, and somehow made the dress look really UNFLATTERING. I don't think it looks as bad as the photo makes out.

No comments: